Polka Dot Dress Part 4

So I finally started working on my dress again and I started with the zipper, I ended up ripping it out twice more and got so frustrated that I made it shorter, I was only getting so far until it started gettting super crooked so that is where I cut it off. it looks like this now.

Zipper zipper outside

I also put a hook and eye at the top.

Next I realized that hemming the arm holes was going to be a problem, so I got some of my leftover fabric from making the dress and made my own bias tape.

Homemade Bias Tape

It was really thick and I didn’t want to try it on my machine so I ended up hand sewing it, in hindsight I probably should have been sewing closer to the edge but I didn’t.

armhole

It is a litte warped but I’m hoping that it will still lay ok. I still have to do that at least 3 more times and then possibly for the neck line as well. Stuff like this makes me really wish that I had a dress form. I am starting to worry that it will not fit. I am learning a lot though. I will definitly be making a muslin first for my mad men dress.

Advertisements

Mum’s Advice…

The older I get the more I realize that I really should listen when my mum gives me advice, she has yet to be wrong when I ask her about things… I was visiting over the weekend and showed her the dress I was working on, she quickly pointed out that I need to rip out my zipper and start that bit over. I was crushed when she said that, I worked so hard but it’s so crooked. Sadly I was informed that the dress will not hang properly unless I redo the zipper. I have been a bit under the weather lately so I haven’t done much sewing, I am looking forward to getting back at it soon. I am still trying to figure out how to add some more length too – I miss measured (measure twice cut once. It’s a good saying but I didn’t listen…) the length and its a tad short…

Have you ever had one of those “Why didn’t I listen to my mother?!” moments?

Polka dot dress part 3

This polka dot dress is turning out to be quite a bit trickier than I originally thought, I am looking forward to finishing it this week.

The princess seam worked out but then when I tried to attach the sash I started running into problems, first of can anyone tell me how I manage to get my thread snarled up so much, I cannot figure out why it does this… Update: I found out that the snarled thread is due to my tension setting.

thread snarl

Eventually I decided to discard the sash, I am disappointed and I will probably try to make a dress with a sash another time but for now I think I had bit off more than I could chew so to speak. Anyway once I did that it got much easier, I used some of the fabric that I bought from my local store – the sales associate and I had a good laugh over my trials and tribulations, she was very encouraging. – with that I extended the front bodice, I am interested to see how it will fit since the princess seam ends at what I will now call the empire bustline – as if I intentionally planned it that way haha.

Here’s what it looks like

Before:

with sash

After:

without sash

I also cut out the back and put in a zipper, this was the first time that I ever put one in so of course it had to be an 18″ zipper, as you will see in the pictures, the stitching is not strait and the fabric is not quite all tucked in as it should but the zipper works so I am going to call it a success. I also realized after I put the zipper in that I had not finished the edges of the neckline… not quite sure what I will do yet…

Here are some pictures of the zipper:

crooked zipper close up of zipper