SONP2013 Project 1

So I started working on my SONP project late, with no idea what I would make first, I decided on an a line skirt with pockets, with a pretty yellow fabric, I have done an a line skirt before, see here and despite a few issues while hemming it turned out great.

I started this one and I did not really measure very well so I ended up with three panels instead of two, luckily I usually over estimate how much fabric I need when I am at the store…

I stitched the back panel together just fine and then decided to sew the pocket pieces together when everything went sideways. I don’t know if its the tension or something I am doing wrong but I cannot get through a project without it happening at lease once that the underside of the fabric ends up being a big snarl of thread while the top looks normal, and thread gets all jammed up where the bobbin goes.

I did take pictures and will upload them tomorrow. I will also finish my skirt tomorrow during daylight hours as currently June bugs are throwing themselves at all of the window around me and giving me the heebe jeebes, I just get squirrelly hearing the noise… one got in my hair once… it was tramatic… come to think of it I left my plants that I was hardening off out on the deck… they will just have to survive overnight… I am not going out there!

 

Polka dot dress part 3

This polka dot dress is turning out to be quite a bit trickier than I originally thought, I am looking forward to finishing it this week.

The princess seam worked out but then when I tried to attach the sash I started running into problems, first of can anyone tell me how I manage to get my thread snarled up so much, I cannot figure out why it does this… Update: I found out that the snarled thread is due to my tension setting.

thread snarl

Eventually I decided to discard the sash, I am disappointed and I will probably try to make a dress with a sash another time but for now I think I had bit off more than I could chew so to speak. Anyway once I did that it got much easier, I used some of the fabric that I bought from my local store – the sales associate and I had a good laugh over my trials and tribulations, she was very encouraging. – with that I extended the front bodice, I am interested to see how it will fit since the princess seam ends at what I will now call the empire bustline – as if I intentionally planned it that way haha.

Here’s what it looks like

Before:

with sash

After:

without sash

I also cut out the back and put in a zipper, this was the first time that I ever put one in so of course it had to be an 18″ zipper, as you will see in the pictures, the stitching is not strait and the fabric is not quite all tucked in as it should but the zipper works so I am going to call it a success. I also realized after I put the zipper in that I had not finished the edges of the neckline… not quite sure what I will do yet…

Here are some pictures of the zipper:

crooked zipper close up of zipper