Mad Men Dress Pattern

Lately I have been working on drafting my pattern for my Man Men dress. The local shop that I get my fabric from doesn’t have sewing patterns for sale. ┬áSo my patterns are made by me. Usually I just google things and piece it together from what I can find. Or find a tutorial online. I have been having a lot of trouble finding a tutorial for a sheath dress. I finally found a pattern here.

It lets you print the pattern which would be ideal if I had a printer… Since I don’t I have drawn it out by hand – just free hand, no measurements yet. I will figure that part out later. I also picked up some white broadcloth to try the pattern out on before I use the fabric that I ordered online.

A couple of changes. Mine will be boat neck, and will not have a belt, also the back will be more like the one in the pictures on my first Mad Men Challenge post.

Here is what I have so far, my drawing abilities peaked at stick people so apologies for the quality of the drawing…

photo

It’s a bit hard to see since its small and I was using a pencil but if you click on the picture it should get bigger.

Next week I am going to start measuring and cutting out the pieces on the broadcloth. Tonight I might work on my Dopp Kit, but more on that later.

What do you prefer, tutorials or patterns? Would you rather print off a pattern or buy one in a store? Or do you like to make your own? How about tracing clothes you already have?

Polka dot dress part 3

This polka dot dress is turning out to be quite a bit trickier than I originally thought, I am looking forward to finishing it this week.

The princess seam worked out but then when I tried to attach the sash I started running into problems, first of can anyone tell me how I manage to get my thread snarled up so much, I cannot figure out why it does this… Update: I found out that the snarled thread is due to my tension setting.

thread snarl

Eventually I decided to discard the sash, I am disappointed and I will probably try to make a dress with a sash another time but for now I think I had bit off more than I could chew so to speak. Anyway once I did that it got much easier, I used some of the fabric that I bought from my local store – the sales associate and I had a good laugh over my trials and tribulations, she was very encouraging. – with that I extended the front bodice, I am interested to see how it will fit since the princess seam ends at what I will now call the empire bustline – as if I intentionally planned it that way haha.

Here’s what it looks like

Before:

with sash

After:

without sash

I also cut out the back and put in a zipper, this was the first time that I ever put one in so of course it had to be an 18″ zipper, as you will see in the pictures, the stitching is not strait and the fabric is not quite all tucked in as it should but the zipper works so I am going to call it a success. I also realized after I put the zipper in that I had not finished the edges of the neckline… not quite sure what I will do yet…

Here are some pictures of the zipper:

crooked zipper close up of zipper

Polka dot dress part 2

Last night after much searching on the internet I discovered that instead of darts I could do a princess seam (can you tell that I’m new at this haha) I watched a few youtube videos about it and here is where I ended up:

princess seam

not quite sure how to turn the picture but you get the jist of it.

I did manage to sew it together last night and it looks like it will fit properly, tonight I am going to work on the back of the dress – which I need to buy more fabric for since I used all my fabric trying to make the front of the bodice. Then I will see if I can sew it all together successfully.