Lesson learned today… never buy cheap thread, its not worth the headache. I now have the dress panels mostly together. As long as I can get some more thread I will hopefully finish it soon. I might leave out the pockets… I am really not sure how to do them, I think skirt #2 will have pockets instead so I have more time to do some research.
Pictures up soon hopefully.
With 17 days left to make this dress its definitely time to start working on it again.
I redrew the pattern, hopefully it will be easier since princess seams are giving me so much trouble. I really need to start buying some fabric with some stretch to it.
Here is the new pattern. I used this for the boat neck part and this for the darts. Now I just have to get some more broadcloth to practice on.
I completed a dress for the first time last night. I made a tank dress, where you buy a tank top then cut it and add a skirt. I made it as a birthday present for my Mum. She doesn’t know but I am sure she suspects since I had to ask her her waist and hip measurements.
I originally planned on having an elastic attaching the shirt to the skirt but my local store doesn’t sell 2″ elastic and I didn’t have enough 1″ elastic. By the time I realized that I didn’t heave enough 1″ the store had already closed and I only had last night to work on the dress so I just sewed the shirt to the skirt, I used a zigzag stitch for the very first time.
The dress turned out ok I think, it’s a little wonky and I did mess up the hem – I made an a line skirt and I hemmed the bottom before I attached the two pieces together sp the hems don’t match but I think it’s good enough to be a beach cover up.
Hemming, my least favourite part.
Shirt cut and ready to be attached.